Certainly at this point in time technology is not replacing humanity. But for the up and coming generation, I am not so sure what the future holds. The young adults raised in the 90’s and 2000’s that only know technology, such as text messaging, Facebook, Instagram and email seem to not have the communications skills of their elders. As a business man and insurance agency broker, I receive emails from this generation that are in code instead of English. News flash, trying to secure an interview with acronyms versus spelling out words does not impress anything but being lazy. I do know what BTW means, but in business we still type “By the way”. My guess is you are not that busy.
I do not understand this new game of Pokemon GO, but I have seen news reports of the mindless dangerous results associated with this game. If you have to work this hard and risk your safety and possibly your life, why not spend that time being productive working or volunteering to help your community.
My biggest fear for this generation is their lack of communication skills. Communicating in person is so much different than texting or messaging with technology. The key components of communication are lost in using just written words. Words are only 7% of the communication process. The other 93% of communication is voice qualities and body language. Most but not all, of this generation lacks the key components such as eye contact, hand shaking, voice inflection, knowing when to speak and when to listen, as well as how to listen. Technology makes these skills worse.
If you have children or loved ones in this generation, work with them on their people and communication skills before it is too late. This generation is so dependent upon technology, they would literally starve to death in a power outage because they would not know how to find food. As their elders, it is our responsibility to teach them basic skills to interact with humans other than a smart phone or tablet. Lord help us if we master Artificial Intelligence.
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”—Albert Einstein
Image by ambro at www.freedigitalphotos.net
Tim Wilhoit is owner/principal of Your Friend 4 Life Insurance Agency in Nashville, TN. He is a family man, father of 3, grandfather of 1, entrepreneur, insurance agent, life insurance broker, employee benefit specialist, salesman, sales trainer, recruiter, public speaker, blogger, author and team leader with over 29 years of experience in sales and marketing in the insurance and beverage industries.